ExxonMobil LCS Global Market Planner - Carbon Capture & Storage (CCS) in Houston, Texas
ExxonMobil Corporation is the world’s largest publicly held international energy company with operations on six continents. ExxonMobil is engaged in the exploration, production, transportation and sale of crude oil and natural gas, and the manufacture, transportation, and sale of petroleum products. The Company’s segments include Upstream, Downstream, Chemical, and Corporate. The Upstream segment explores for and produces crude oil and natural gas. The Downstream manufactures and sells petroleum products and the Chemical segment manufactures and sells petrochemicals. ExxonMobil Low Carbon Solutions, recently established, is advancing plans for more than 20 new carbon capture and storage opportunities around the world to enable large-scale emission reductions. ExxonMobil is also an industry technology leader with $1 billion invested each year in research and development.
ExxonMobil holds an industry-leading inventory of global oil and gas resources, with daily production of 3.95 million barrels of oil equivalent. ExxonMobil is also one of the largest refiner and marketer of petroleum products, with 21 refineries in 13 countries and its chemical company ranks among the world’s largest.
The energy industry plays a critical role in supporting economic growth and improving the quality of life for billions of people around the world. Over the next several decades, populations are projected to grow, and the middle class will continue to expand – dynamics that will further the demand for energy. Meeting this demand will require significant investment and new production in the energy sector. Increased demand for energy will also impact emission levels, which underscores the need to continue to pursue emission reduction efforts to mitigate the risks of climate change. ExxonMobil is helping address this dual challenge in a variety of ways through researching and developing next-generation technologies, developing products that help customers reduce their emissions, improving energy efficiency and advancing public policy solutions.
Worldwide, ExxonMobil markets fuels and lubricants under four product brands: Esso, Exxon, Mobil, and ExxonMobil Chemical.
ExxonMobil established its Low Carbon Solutions business in early 2021 to commercialize low-emission technologies. It is initially focusing its carbon capture and storage efforts on point-source emissions, the process of capturing CO2 from industrial activity that would otherwise be released into the atmosphere, and injecting it into deep underground geologic formations for safe, secure and permanent storage. The business is also pursuing strategic investments in biofuels and hydrogen to bring those lower-emissions energy technologies to scale for hard-to-decarbonize sectors of the global economy.
Job Role Summary
Leads market planning activities in support of establishment of a profitable and growing CCS business
which includes identifying and understanding market trends/opportunities. Recommends market segments to pursue, providing timely, insightful analyses of market/business data to enable effective decision-making.
This position is located at the Houston Campus
Primary Job Functions
Successful Candidates will:
• Develop and maintain a deep understanding of the CCS market and value chain in all current and emerging markets of interest by focusing on questions such as:
o How will emitter market segments decarbonize? (e.g., fuel switch, capture, offsets)
o Which markets are growing and developing fastest?
o What price of carbon makes each market attractive for investment?
• Understand the CCS market, industry trends, customer needs, competitive dynamics, and relative attractiveness of different parts of the value chain, whilst supporting targeted external engagements and incorporate internal and 3rd party studies.
• Provide timely, insightful analyses of market/business data to enable effective decision-making
• Recommend participation in the market – geography, market segments, offerings, portfolio balance, potential customers, potential alliance partners, competitor behavior and EM response
• Oversee addressing of strategic questions and development and execution of Marketing plans. Ensure alignment with macro plans to address internal CCS needs as part of emissions reduction roadmap that enables achieving Corporate milestones (e.g., net zero Scope 1+2 by 2050)
• Develop sector / segment strategy, country-specific strategies, business models, roadmaps to growth
• Supports ExxonMobil LCS be the recognized global leader in CCS (support advocacy, support development of industry standards, set foundation for low-carbon premium products)
• Lead establishment of marketing tools and internal processes to identify opportunities, weigh portfolio choices, and monitor the financial health of the CCS business by:
o Developing and managing network optimization modeling tool, and Value in Use tools
o Work with Marcom to develop and execute regional marketing communication activities aligned with Global Marcom plan
o Monitor CCS volume progress and input to LCS planning
• Strong analytical and communication skills
• Strong leadership and ability to effectively influence others
• Knowledge of carbon markets, both regulatory and voluntary, and related policies
• Engineering/other Technical degree
• Experience and strong interest in Low Carbon / Carbon Storage / Energy Transition
• Marketing experience within Energy/Chemicals, ideally Low Carbon / Carbon Storage / Energy Transition
• Demonstrated effectiveness in large organization, preferably international and Fortune 500 Company
• Relevant industry networks and a deep understanding of the carbon market regulatory environment
• Good understanding of voluntary &/or compliance carbon standards and methodologies
• Experience performing analysis of carbon offset projects
• Energy industry experience, including research and market analysis related to commercial and energy transition activities
• Ability to effectively manage interpersonal relationships across multiple functions and in a diverse work group
• Extensive experience in sales/marketing, with proven ability to improve planning/business processes
• Exhibits deep curiosity, demonstrating strategic thinking to drive long term growth
ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or physical or mental disability.